Thursday, November 12, 2015

Altadena Hiking



Ok, Blogger threatened to remove the "hiker" from my name if I failed to post a recent hike. Something I shoulda woulda been doing, except I hate both my cameras and rarely carry them.

So I fired up the mini-cam this morning. Good, good. But forgot to clean the lens. Bad, bad. I realized the error of my ways half-way back down the trail and licked the lens and rubbed it on my shirt. Your lucky day.



This is a nice trail, though not my favorite, as it's exposed to the sun and the elements. Best tackled when covered in fog or clouds. Today there were no clouds. But I like the old Mt. Wilson toll road, as it's wide enough to accommodate both bikers and hikers, so we don't get into squabbles over who stops and who goes, which of us owns eight of the 12-inches of trail.



My hiking etiquette -- when the trail narrows, those going down yield to whoever is going up. Those of us going up faster than the other uppers, pass when it's comfortable for them, so no one has to stop.



And this is just a bite, a nibble, of all the things I've come up with, over time. Life would be ever so pleasant if everybody played by my rules.

15 comments:

  1. Nice photos. Glad you licked off the lens. I too hate it when I forget to clean it. Next time, stop by my door on the way back. I will provide whatever I can to refresh you and Good Albert. I have long since replaced the tiles from his last roof-walking caper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't professional photographers put Vaseline on the lens to give a old-fashioned look? They should have used spit Just don't ever rub the lens if you've got latte foam on your fingers. That stuff sets like cement. As for trail etiquette, I agree completely with you. When a mountain biker heading downhill fast almost ploughed into me, he accused me of having "jumped the wrong way." He kindly explained there's an etiquette for hikers meeting downhill bikers: always jump to the left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For whatever reason, I am really glad you got out your camera and went for a hike. Your shots are fantastic. Please do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I 'love' are the tourists who somehow find that picture perfect spot... they congregate and it seems like they've set up a conference, thus, killing that moment for others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're on, Doris. But it'll be sans Albert, I'm afraid. He's not much of a hiker.
    Bellis, maybe someone jumped right again and he's the biker who went over the side last week.
    LFP, you're overly generous, but thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to know the rules of the trail, although, as you can tell from my blog's title, I am emphatically not a hiker. Still, your rules make sense, and would work fine for some of our skinny back roads (where my 1989 Suburban scares everyone into submission, and the 1995 Cadillac is nearly as effective).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd never think to jump left for a bike. I figure it's like a highway. If the trail is wide enough, everyone stays to the right. But I don't want to send anyone over the edge so maybe I need to rethink that.

    Some day I want to walk that trail all the way up to the Observatory. I'd better do it before I get any older.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BLUE sky. Thanks. Most welcomed reading this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a breath of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marvelous views. These pics are a treat for this walker of woods where the view consists of trees above and leaves below, which are lovely but not awe inspiring. I like your hiking etiquette;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. In our hills, wherever you point the camera, you really can't lose.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh nice pics even if you spit on your camera, lol ...which i do all the time... These pics remind me when we would hike above Alta Loma near sapphire falls and then beyond. I kind of miss those days. In the mountains here we have no choice but to go up and down hills - very few level roads - but I would get excited back in the day to hike up hills like where you are (because soon I could go back to having level walks).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good morning Karin!
    Sounds you had a great hiker.
    Love your pictures and the views are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I quit licking my lenses. It's way to hard to clean the little bits of Cheetos off after they dry...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I went for a hike up Baily canyon yesterday with a big black dog like Albert. His name is Big. He is very. I am only here for a short visit from my new home in Seattle. I will always cherish the smell of sage in these mountains and the dry dust even has its own smell here.

    ReplyDelete