Friday, October 23, 2015

A blogger friend died last week





I considered him a friend; maybe you did, too. Birdman -- that's the only name he provided on his blog -- even if you and he had posted back and forth for several years. But he generously shared other sides of his life.

What did we, the virtuals, know about Birdman? He was an English teacher, who on a dare wore a kilt to school. He loved and was loved by his wife Elenka. His family lived in Maine, and he grew up somewhere on the North Atlantic coast. Had kind of a Tom Sawyer childhood, rode his bike delivering newspapers as a youth, protected birds and other wildlife, loved the sea, dreaded the dead of winter, longed for spring, traveled in summer. And most of all, he had the gift of gab, a wonderful optimism, and a talent for photography.

Birdman always struck me as the uncle or cousin you'd want to be seated next to at a Thanksgiving Day dinner. The one who could spin a yarn, tell a joke, at the appropriate time, break up any sort of tension. Kind of the Will Rogers of bloggers.

One of his October posts -- and he blogged every single day -- ended with:

"Always remember...Wishing is important. Sometimes pieces just tumble into place."

His last post is here. If he touched you too, say good-bye.

18 comments:

  1. I never read his blog, but I always liked his comments on yours. How old was he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I don't know, Earl, but I think somewhere in the 55-60 range.

      Delete
  2. I am so very sorry with this sad news...
    I always read his comments on your posts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the comments he left on your page... he sounded like an old soul... loved his sense of humor.. he always knew how to add a twist to his comments.. Seems like this is the season to losing close friends/relatives... got late news that a second cousin recently passed... the 2nd generation matriarchial side is now all gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bird, as I called him, and I were friends a long time too. You're right, he was the uncle or cousin you would want to sit with at Thanksgiving dinner. Thanks for this dear remembrance. V

    ReplyDelete
  5. There have been many remembrances of Birdman over the past several days. Yours is special. Leave Birdperson a chair at the Thanksgiving table and ladle up some extra cranberry sauce for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read all the comments on Birdman's blog. Sad that he went so young and so suddenly, but better for him, I suppose, than an long illness. Sounds like he was a teacher before he retired. One of those special teachers that, if we've been lucky, we can across a few times when we were in school. I'm guessing he was a high school English teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh...so sad. He will be missed...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am missing his witty posts and comments so much! You are right - sitting beside him at dinner would have been an experience to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have many favorite Birdman pieces, here's one: http://pasttimeamainebackyardandbeyond.blogspot.com/2014/08/skiff.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always felt honored when he took time to comment on my blog. I liked his turns of phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked his sunny side of the street. He walked it with great courage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karin, Birdman's brother has posted his eulogy in the comments on his last post. It is touching. Thanks for telling us of this loss.

    (I thought my weekend sucked. Birdman's sucked worse.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great remembrance. Lots of brotherly love.

      Delete
  13. Karin, I agree with you, really a wise message of Birdman on his post "Dory".

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so sad ...I only knew him from his comments on some of the blogs I visit, including yours, and remember them as thoughtful and bright. Rest in peace, Birdman.

    ReplyDelete