Sunday, August 16, 2015

Midweek Matinee -- Greta Gerwig: A short appreciation



Not that my appreciation for Greta Gerwig is short; it runs long. I've liked her in everything, but most especially Frances Ha, which she co-wrote.

She has a new movie, and I was going to just put up the trailer on Facebook and toss out a few words, maybe -- "Can't wait to see." But I didn't like the trailer, though pretty sure the movie is worth the ticket.

So instead, I've decided to put up a clip from Frances Ha.

You know how in the old Francois Truffaut movie, Jules et Jim, you got under the skin of the male characters, but never grasped the female? I mean, you understood why two boys would be fascinated by Jeanne Moreau, but she seemed too mysterious to be lovable, inscrutable to the point of incidental? Finally, just a plot device, someone or even less -- a something. There only to mess with and ultimately mess up the guys.

In Frances Ha, you meet the girl. It's all about the girl.



17 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding me I wanted to see this! I have been replenishing my Netflix queue with old favorites and new recommendations. I couldn't place Greta Gerwig in the movie review I just read of her "Mistress America" [Rotten Tomatoes likes it] but now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been sitting in my netflix queue.. will definitely take a looksee..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recommendation. I kind of skipped over this movie, despite Netflix's insistence that I would like it, because I didn't like the poster art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So....I thought I had seen this a few decades ago, but then I IMDB'd it and discovered that it's pretty new. It must be similar to something I did see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seen Jules et Jim many times. Hey, lots of things mess up young teens and older. Mostly wearing skirts and showing lots of leg. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't say Frances Ha is an answer to J&J. But they're similar in the way both are a celebration -- ironic, funny, and sad, but a celebration nonetheless -- of a deeply felt, deeply held, platonic relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of the actress or of the movie. Your recommendation makes it meaningful, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of the actress and movie too. Thanks for let me know, Karin!
    I loved Francois Truffaut movie, Jules & Jim. I must to review it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I'm sure you'd like FH, or double your money back.

      Delete
  9. I probably should see Jules et Jim first. And I'm grateful Frances Ha isn't French - I'll watch it after I'm finished with my Netflix 'House' marathon. Can't say enough good things about your Alice in Wonderland recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. But but but she lost weight. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. But but but she lost weight. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just read a review in our paper - gave it 3 1/2 stars out of 4!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the tip, KB ! I hadn't heard of it so I'll keep an eye out when it's released here.

    ReplyDelete