Thursday, July 9, 2015

Some people



...you like from the get-go. Who knows why.

I don't like it when people I like move to some faraway place. I don't like it at all. When you come down to it, it's quite rude, actually, as they've obviously not taken the sense of loss I'll feel into consideration.

(I also don't like that "Like" has been redefined, usurped. "Like" should not be batted about like a balloon. It's special. I'm reclaiming it.)

I liked Bellis the first time I met her. To begin with, I liked her accent, and told her so. And she said, "Why? Because it makes me sound like a nanny?"

She's a Brit, you know, and rather exacting.

So I think I said something like, "Oh no, nonononono."

Over the past six years or so, we liked walking and hiking together. Not that we made it a habit, it was very occasional, just from time to time. But some really special hikes -- like in Angeles after the fires, when we took a trail, and later walked on the highway, shut to traffic, as if we owned the place. The time in East LA, Haha, Icehouse, San Rafael -- oh, quite a few others, now that I think about it.

Her knowledge of the San Gabriels puts her up there with the 1%. She does her homework, and knows the history, the names of the trails, campsites, peaks, and valleys. A walk with Bellis is always an education.

And now she's moving to Germany. Pretty sure she'll like the change. More history to explore, mysteries to uncover, new peaks and valleys requiring identification. She'll teach the life-long residents a thing or two.

Over the years, I think Bellis and I had only two major points of disagreement -- whether her dogs should be leashed when hiking (Bellis: no; Karin: yes; I lost that one), and whether one could/should leave the shells from hard boiled eggs on the trail (Karin: yes; Bellis: no; somehow, I lost that one, too).

Oh yeah, one other: whether Bellis should leave California. I guess that means I'm 0 for 3.

22 comments:

  1. Well darn! I would have liked to get know her now that I'm down off the mountain!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, Germany. Much luck to her in her new place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also vote no. Bellis, I will miss you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need a gathering, a happy/sad gathering, before she leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty please! Let's wish her well. Bon voyage and all that rot. PS. sorry I missed the Clockers. I overslept in true slacker fashion. B. Ellis is not a slacker.

      Delete
    2. I'm in (again). My people will be contacting you about the royalty for the photo.

      Delete
    3. Smells like monkey flowers, columbines, and big trees.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I know this feeling all too well. It seems like yours is a friendship that will hold out well over the distance, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope this means we'll be getting insights from her new home in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karin, I know what you are feeling.
    I hope much luck to Bellis in her new country!
    I always like to read Bellis comments and I search her blog and I saw that she don't has a blog. It would be great if in Germany she created a blog.
    Bon voyage Bellis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know Bellis, but I like her voice so can I come to the party too? I promise not to shake my cane at anyone and to leave a few glasses of wine for others. I will even happily contribute some of same for the many toasts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I hate when this happens. I wish Bellis all the best, and Karin I wish you lots to do to help transition through the worst of the "missing Bellis" time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now when I hike, it's back to never ever knowing where I've been.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always enjoy reading Bellis's comments, and wish I'd been able to meet her. I'm sorry she's leaving, but wish her all the best in her new life in Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm 'liking' this post.
    Ok, now for moral support. I'm in your corner on your first 2 disagreements with B-. On the third, you're on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How sad for you that Bellis is leaving your area; how happy for you that El Internetto will enable her to keep up with you, comment on your amusing and/or thought provoking posts, and maybe even help you figure out where you've been. Best of happiness in Germany, Bellis!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goodbye Bellis! May your new home offer you many adventures and long walks to beautiful places..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw thanks everyone. I will miss you so much. El Internetto will keep me connected, and Karin, I bequeath you my maps and books so you can find out where you've been when you get back. A hike will never be the same without boiled eggs. The San Gabriels are unique in that they're so close to a very large conurbation and yet so wild. We'll be back many times, especially during the European winter. The snow-capped Alps are visible from Munich, tempting me, but I doubt I will need a Mountain Rescue team to save me when I'm there, it's all so safe and well-used. Keep betting on the horses, and come out to see me with your winnings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your maps and SG books? I'll treasure them.

      Delete
  16. Bellis has always struck me as a very good sort. If you were secretly hoping for an excuse to visit Germany, now you have a mighty fine one.

    May your wanderlust be ever renewed, Bellis. All the very best to you.

    ReplyDelete