Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Autumn Harvest



They say that the essence of futility is to keep doing the same thing thing over and over while expecting a different result. So after two years of crop failures, I'm through with vegetables -- the weepy lettuce, stumpy carrots, and preemie zukes.

Now I'm planting puppies.

As an experiment, I tried a Labrador seed in March, before the last of our spring rains. Just tossed it in the raised bed, not expecting much, one way or the other. It languished during the hot summer months, looked more dead than alive, so I kind of thought, well -- that's that. Then all of a sudden, come November, I've got this. Rather thrilling, what?

Advantages of puppy seeds -- they till their own soil, dig their own holes, and self-fertilize.



I thumped this one on the head early this morning, and it sounds practically hollow, so I reckon it'll be ready for harvest in another week or so. Then I'll take it to our local backyard produce exchange. Maybe I'll get a melon or two in trade. Or even just a turnip, that'd be ok, given it's my first try.

23 comments:

  1. If a hollow sound from a thump on the head means ready to harvest, I'm obviously seriously overripe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang tough Albert! You're worth at least four oranges and a rutabaga.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, it's hollow, how's the scent? sweet? spoiled? or???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say this pumpkin head is both sweet and spoiled, and like Terry, occasionally seriously over ripe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always a nice surprise when something unexpected crops up, isn't it? The wind blew two punkin heads into my yard this weekend, complete with orange vests, but I sent them back over the wall:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you harvest the labs, you should take them to the puppy mill.

    Your pup looks like he's been genetically modified. Hope you'll put that on the label.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are those cauliflower ears? ;)
    (No offense to you, Albert. I'm just making a terrible pun)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't advise eating this one -- the ears look tender, but the rest is stingy and tough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one fine crop! I fear that this coming year I may have a bumper crop of gophers popping up in my garden...maybe your crop could come over and help control my crop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What I like about Labs is that they grow well in almost any climate, and soil pH isn't a factor at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that lovely crop!
    Please, Karin, send to me a puppy from Albert!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chocolate labs are what is common now-a-days. I think you have an heirloom variety with this lab. Should do well in the trades

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can't convince me that puppy isn't overripe. He's got white hair on his chin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. White whiskers? Please. That's nothing but a milk mustache. We heirlooms are lactose tolerant.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with RedPat, all I can do is grin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well now I want to plant puppies too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. PS If you use Square Foot Gardening methods you can get a whole crop of Alberts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sure that's not what we want, Paula. Chieftess, Yes, if milk cartons and greasy paper towels make the cut.

    ReplyDelete