Tuesday, October 22, 2013

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, that is what you mean to me, Harper Lee




"Author Harper Lee ... seeks to protect the 87-year-old's best-known intellectual property, "To Kill a Mockingbird."
The Alabama writer has sued her hometown Monroe County Heritage Museum for trademark infringement, saying it is illegally using her fame for its own gain... It is a substantial business that generated over $500,000 in revenue for 2011, the last year for which figures are available," said the lawsuit filed last week. " -- CNN



So Harper Lee is suing over the use of the To Kill A Mockingbird trademark and logo. Well, who the hell does she think she is?

I can't imagine anyone so mean spirited. She's rich; why strike out at us, just because we clean up on our "Scout and Jem" fanny packs and "I Heart Atticus" baseball caps and coffee mugs? Jealousy, perhaps, that we came up with the idea first?

We only want to promote the heritage of this town, after all. I haven't actually read the whole book. But I have read the important parts, because every time I take something from the stove while wearing my Miss Maudie Mitts, I see a new and wondrous quote. Plus, every time we stuff a chicken in the "Hey, It's Not a Mockingbird" roasting pan, we remember, right? -- the story or whatever. Same goes for the "You're Toast, Bob Ewell" mini-oven.

I suppose next thing we know, she'll be suing over our Boo Radley Rat Traps. These traps not only work, by the way, but have a different TKAM quotes on every slab, making them both fun and educational for the entire family. My son and daughter literally fight over who gets to empty them each morning.

Artists. Don't get me started. This whole thing has me so upset -- the greed of this woman, the selfishness. Something my family doesn't indulge in; in fact, you're all invited over to share our jar of "Folks Call Me Dill" pickles. Depending on which way the wind blows, these may or may not be available early next year.

26 comments:

  1. My thoughts exactly. Just because you thought up the whole story and everything, Miss Lee, and put our town on the map, what gives you the right to control use of the characters after you created them? Selfish, I say, selfish. Now, where's them Call Me Dill Pickles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what if her literary agent recently tried to dupe her into signing the TKAM copyright over to him. Sheesh! She's old, she's had a good run, I say let the greedy SOB have a turn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing says respect like a cheap t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trademark infringement? I am surprised she holds the trademark.

    Meanwhile, that toaster oven could be a winner, not to mention the rodent control.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Call Me Dill Pickles--I was happily skimming till that reached out at my throat. If you've seen one Dillard, you've seen 'em all?

    And yet there I go being surprised again. Why in the world can't they agree on her fair share (99%?) ? What have they created? What's the matter with people?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dunno, all. I looked up the town's merch and heaved when I saw the I Love Atticus canvas tote bag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if she really cares, of it's her kids or other family members.
    I want a "folks call me dill" pickle!

    great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She cares, Pat. It's her heart, it's her soul, it's hers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought you were having me on. I think I'm going to climb into bed for a spell and have a good case of the vapors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent commentary, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a way to treat a home-town author. Shame!

    I wonder where the city attorney was when the decision was made.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When Disney buys it, you won't be able to name your organically-diapered infant "Atticus" anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Silly me, I thought stealing another's words/work was illegal. I hope that as a result of the legal battle the offenders owe Harper Lee lots of money. It's too bad it comes to this, that people do the wrong thing until they're caught. They know better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Better now, Paula? John, I was pretty shocked to read how entitled the town's heritage group sounds. Claire, I did meet a little baby Atticus once. I sensed an identity crisis in his future. Sharon, I am going to follow this, because I can't see how the other side even has a case.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is a "Boo Radley" not far from me. I wonder what she would think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I side with Harper on this one.Can't they come up with their own idea? How about a ham costume?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tell me about it. In our case a man's best friend is his lawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. She's just a one-book author, she don't deserve no respect.

    The young ginger cat rescued from his idyllic but dangerous life in Millard Canyon campground on Sunday has gone to a loving family, who were planning to call him Atticus. She turned out to be female, which is rare, so I'm waiting to find out what her name will now be.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There are two boys named Atticus in my granddaughter's first grade class. Is this a fad I've missed until now?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel for her. The negative energy, stress, and anger she must be swimming in right now, is not good for anyone. I'd hate to have to enter into a battle like this at any age, much less hers.

    I'm a big believer in Karma though. Someone's gonna get an ass kickin'...mark my words.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. She's 87 yr old?
    At that age people tend to do whatever they want. They don't give much of a damn what anyone else think. It's one of the few benefits of becoming aged.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Boo Radley rat traps?? I thought you were kidding......hilarious but so bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. At this point, I feel it important to note that while people think my dog Scout is named after Scout in the book, she is actually named after the Girl Scout tee shirt my daughter was wearing when we found Scout.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well...Hah!!!...maybe...if she'd of written a few more Pulitzer Prize winning books she wouldn't care!!!

    (Boo Radley Rat traps are for real???)

    Sounds like she's got enough spunk to tackle this and win hands down!!!

    Our little tiny community theater just put on a production of To Kill A Mockingbird...really well done!!!

    ReplyDelete