Friday, May 11, 2012

Working, Part 2: That's More Like It

Some folks scoffed at yesterday’s workspace photos. They didn’t believe creativity could flourish in a pristine environment where an untouched tablet of paper waits -- patiently, eternally -- at a 45 degree angle next to a freshly sharpened #2 pencil.

I, however, I believe. Anything is possible in this world. So possible that I even married this guy once (I think it was only once, but I've missplaced the paperwork) who had his jeans dry cleaned, starched, and pressed, weekly.

(Though I found John irritating in oh, so many ways, our windows sparkled and you could hold a dinner party on the bathroom floor.)

As Shakespeare once said, "There are more things in blah blah blah, Horatio, than are blah blah …" I’d continue this, but I can’t find the post-it.

So, here are the winners of today's work space category, titled: That's More Like It. I understand how these folks get things done. There is evidence of work in their space, though they'll never be members of my sorority. I'm featuring my club on Sunday.



Artist Shell Sheree. I have some Shell originals in my office. She would have made yesterday's cut, except the pen isn't at the proper angle.



Writer, editor, photographer Kelly Russell. Another potential for yesterday's post, except the coffee cup. It's leaving rings, you know it is.



Soilman -- British writer, journalist, gardener; ranter extraordinaire. A candidate for "Are You Shitting Me?" Are you shitting me?



Writer and college prof Margaret Finnegan. For those who know Margaret, she's our personal goddess, and has a book coming out this year.



And John. (No, not that John). This is John Sandel of We Make Movies. Now, he thought he could fool us with all the attention paid to the tidiness in the middle and on the right. But I think all the junk cleverly disguised in the shadows to the left tells us everything we need to know.



Finally, this is the Chief. My favorite Chief of Police in all California. He also outted his wife's workspace, so Kathy, you'll be joining us on Sunday.

29 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the final contestants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic - I love to see where people work (and where they cook). I do most of my writing on the kitchen counter. And, btw, that's my favorite Shakespeare quote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very, very proud. In so many ways. I can't even say. Bursting. John did not show you the rest of his office, but you only asked for desks.

    You know, this is such an interesting idea. I like all these people, I'm intrigued by them. Seeing their workspaces is more than fun.

    Hi, Bec! I like your new picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fun seeing people's workspaces.

    Also interesting to see how many people in today's post have Macs.

    Looking forward to Part 3.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, I can't tell the difference between the two categories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool to see these photos! Very revealing to see different work environments. I have a split personality: at work my desk is super neat and tidy, but my standards at home are much more relaxed. Can't wait to see the next batch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reality check on Sunday?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What??? These desks are still too neat to be creatively productive!!!

    ps...I have it on good authority that TheChief's drop down desk at home is not as tidy as his office desk!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing these workspaces - great idea, KB! I can show you neater and messier views, depending on the day and project. {Blame Ella for the pen angle, but I'm in good company.} Looking forward to Sunday's reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent Working Dear Friend Nice Information Share all over the world.olympic station cycles.God Bless You..
    olympic park cycles

    http://usedcycleshoplondon.blogspot.com/2012/05/trendy-cycle-shops-london-bicycle-shops.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. On the Mac thing---we have Macs for personal use, and I have an employer-owned laptop that is PC. I hook the laptop up to a monitor and use the laptop screen as a second screen. I had no idea how great it is to have 2 screens until I tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carolynn, they're good.
    Bec, me too.
    Petrea, yes, congratulations, you're one of us. So is Ms M.
    Paula, I can.
    Katie, isn't it, though. I'd love to see yours, given you live in such a small place -- I'm curious how you arrange things.
    WCGB, Hmmm, not sure I get that.
    Chieftess, oh, I love when husband and wife turn on each other.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shell Sherree, are you a cat fancier? I'm guessing thats an exotic shorthair cat sharing office space with you (and I'd love to see what that chair looks like that "said" kitties blocking.

    I'm with Paula - wheres the mess "we" of the poorly wired, were promised?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no, no, no. I'm afraid I'm way past Now Your Talking {hiding face in shame}. Okay, I'll clean my room now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm loving these peeks into other people's spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how the workspaces match the personalities. And I confess I'm too embarrassed to submit an entry. Maybe I'll get over that after I see the next round of pics, by much braver souls than I.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just amazing post, Karin. And your words are very witty!
    I love also to see where people work, where they cook... I participated on a friend's blog with photos of our bedroom.

    Love the view to the garden from Kelly Russell's desk. And so cute the cat on the table. Dogs are always snugs on lap or foot...

    ReplyDelete
  18. hilarious.....just don't go near the sock drawer!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. PA, indeed, I'm a cat fancier. What gave it away? That's Ella, my extremely cuddly British shorthair. {And my chair is a black fabric office chair from Ikea to which I've hot-glued some coffee-coloured trim. Go for it!}

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shell's cat needs more stuff in that workspace, so it will be comfier for Ella.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a bunch of neatniks! Probably a bunch of accountants. Engineers maybe.

    (But seriously, this is a great idea for a project).

    (When the Martians come to take over, what will they make of these spaces?)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, sure, my space would be better if Scout were sitting on my desk. I have to say that I think Shell sort of cheated.

    ReplyDelete
  23. If Boz sat on my desk there wouldn't be any room for the computer. He would look awfully sweet there, though.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Um, if mine shows up, I think I know what category it is going to fall under, the "What the Hell is Happening Here?" post. I dream of having a desk like these--not so tidy I'd be afraid to mess it up, but organized enough to know where everything is. If only I weren't receiving 150 essays a week . . . who am I kidding? It'd be messed up anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm such a voyeur at heart ( not THAT kind of voyeur, or maybe I am) that getting to nose around in everybody's office is way fun. Can't wait for the Bad Boys!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ms M, yep I noted the Macs too. I'm such a groupie!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think I know everyone just a little bit better now.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Heh! I think another series is in order, KB. Pets on Desks.

    ReplyDelete