Saturday, July 9, 2011

I forgot the camera

Ok, so on the Huntington tour today, I had a family – father, mother, daughter, son -- from Central Mexico, near Monterrey. And the father, aside from being a total dish, knew everything about every succulent that grows in the Americas.

We had a bet about the euphorbia. I said they were only indigenous to the Old World; he claimed some came from Mexico. We made other bets along the way about this and that, and sealed them by shaking hands, over and over. “You’re wrong.” “No, you’re wrong.”

But we were in total agreement on convergent evolution.

I liked this family immensely. They’re visiting every desert garden in California, and have already made the trip to LotusLand, with some side trips to the wine country. In addition to the usual succulent garden suspects, they’re also stopping in Anza Borrego and Joshua Tree. Apparently, their private collection back home is pretty extensive.

When I asked my usual stumper question about the five Mediterranean climates in the world, he immediately named them, but added Argentina.

“You’re wrong,” I said. “No, you’re wrong,” he said.

I think he is the great grandson of Don Evaristo. I know he’s descended from the family that owned the oldest winery in the Americas, Casa Madero. Likely, because we argued about wine, and there were other indications as well, he is the current owner.

He asked how we’d settle all these bets, and what was at stake. I said they were bets of honor.

Turns out, I was wrong about the euphorbia. Upon my honor. But I was right about Argentina.

The other family on the tour – a mother and father originally from China and daughter born here, translated some of the Chinese characters in the Chinese Garden. “This one is a poem. It says, ‘When something gives you pleasure, you should paint a picture.’”

26 comments:

  1. https://picasaweb.google.com/frenchcabo/WineTastingEventWithCasaMadero#5331364249107038146
    ????

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you just did. (Paint a picture that is.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with U2. You're both right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With my total lack of knowledge about succulents, I would agree to whatever you told me, KB. Sounds like you had a pretty special day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And you have painted a picture - one your camera couldn't show as well. What a great day, Karin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you paint this guy? I wouldn't have! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. You created the day for us (I love your exuberance), and I clicked Paula's link. But I wouldn't mind a line drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so stupid, I kept putting in Paula's question marks.

    He looks very much like the guy in the picture, but not exactly. So perhaps they're brothers or cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know euphorbia was a plant, I thought it was a feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They’re visiting every desert garden in California?

    Those kids are going to be special. (And I don't mean precious or conceited.)

    Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Want to come tour my vegetable garden? It's something to be proud of this year. Not so with my flower garden...it's weedy and overgrown. I would love to see succulents, not too many of those in our climate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can I please you girl?

    It all looks so easy.

    Wv: packed - it's true, believe it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad the Chinese family came along. What a nice way to say it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When are you going to give me a tour? I promise I won't try to best you on a thing. You can bet on it

    ReplyDelete
  16. You meet the most amazing people, Karin ;D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Are you feeling euphorbic today, today?

    K, I thought the same thing.

    Sure PA.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want to tag along with PA.,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well Missy, I"m wondering if this family was as much FUN and as IRREVERENT as the bloggerama that you tried your best to herd through the gardens? Humm? I didn't think so. Don't rest on your laurels. I"ll be back soon and be packing the "gang"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Reminds me that I won some free guest passes for another visit to the Huntington. But this visit will be strange, compared to others where I went when it was closed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an utterly delightful tour. It sounds like you met your match.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ciao Karin, How I like your writing!!! Your posts are so "calibrated", the incipit and the end.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Don't you just love people who can actually carry their own end of the conversation? I'll bet the guy loved you, too.

    ReplyDelete