Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Starting somewhere here

The first, last, and only good-looking car I ever had was a college graduation present. A shiny white classic corvette. A ragtop. John gave it to me. That very day, we packed up a few things and drove to Los Padres National Forest. I didn't quit my job; not officially. Not formally. We found an open, alone place and pitched a tent. For a week, maybe two, we hiked, swam, and at night burnt some pancakes and black coffee on a Coleman stove. My dog Bru liked to sleep on the floor of the vette, in front of the driver’s seat. Whenever he shifted around, the brake lights would shine on the pines. Red, dark, red, dark. All night long. If you think life gets better than that, you’re wrong.

(To be continued)

20 comments:

  1. Eagerly awaiting the next chapter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting here.......hurry will ya?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take it John was strapped for cash after bankrolling the corvette?

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! A Corvette for a graduation present!!! ...can't wait to hear more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Burnt the pancakes and coffee? I know how that goes. I don't usually see hikers and campers with Corvettes, that car must have stood out. Love the bit about the red light going on and off. More, more, more...

    (Is this like an advent calendar? A new window each day?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Advent Calendar -- I like that idea, Bellis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got my mom's old Corolla when I graduated. Because of that, I can drive a stick shift, for which I'm proud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will be waiting for the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. TERRIFIC image: "Whenever he shifted around, the brake lights would shine on the pines. Red, dark, red, dark. All night long." I do hope you go on with this.

    Margaret, "UP with stick shifts!" (though I haven't had one in awhile).

    And, Bellis, yeah, a Corvette in a campground? I never saw that in my camping days. Or got a Vette from a romantic interest . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait for more. Somehow I never thought of you whizzing around in a Vette, Hiker. I"m going to have some fun picturing that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh! I'm intrigued. As a former avid camper, I can't imagine what's mo betta than a week or two in the Los Padres...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oftentimes people wood rather have a good-looking car or pet than a mate. I still prefer the smell of burnt wood over pancakes in the mtns.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've pulled me into a world where I'd like to hang out for a while. Sounds like paradise.

    ReplyDelete