Update 5/5: Must read:
Update: Check out PJ. You'll be glad you did. Promise.
Some female bloggers are getting tagged to explore the following theme:
“If I could have met with a mentor on a weekly basis when I was a teenager, I…”
Miss H tagged me, among others. Don’t miss reading hers. It's quite brilliant: http://mllegramophone.wordpress.com/2009/05/01/make-up-or-make-out/
So, “If I could have met with a mentor on a weekly basis when I was a teenager, I…”
…wouldn’t have heard a word. It would have been yet one more voice in that background buzz of adult counsel and caution.
A smart mentor probably would have told me:
· Math is fascinating
· Don’t mix your drinks
· Learn basic plumbing
· When you meet a man named J, just keep walking
· Get your degree in life sciences
· Try to separate true excitement from the hormones
· Try to separate anything from the hormones
· Older men are not really interested in your welfare
· Drugs made only Rimbaud a better poet
· And, by the way, you’re not a poet
· One day there will be a company named Microsoft; buy as much stock as you can.
Someone could have told me these things, maybe someone did. But it wouldn’t have mattered. I listened to movies, books, music, poetry -- but I never once listened to advice.
(With any luck, we’ll get Julie, Tash, PA, and PJ to spill some beans.)