Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Never forget 4/1, not on my watch

Disclaimer: This is not serious and no burgers were harmed in the making of this post.

Well, the good news is, I did get a job in public relations and it is with a Fortune 500 company. The salary is lower than I’d hoped, but there are all sorts opportunities for supersized growth and promotion. Plus, this job combines two things I love: Public speaking and dining. (Can you believe it? Eat your heart out, food bloggers.)

Microphones are scary for some, but as one with extensive experience in voice response systems (ok, answering machines, but my message is special and super long), I'm ready. (But believe me, I'm still practicing. We have -- gasp -- professional scripts and speeches. Can't wait to meet the writer.)

When you visit, I'll show you my office. It's small, but here's what's important: A room with a view. I sit next to a big window; I'm inspired already, watching the cars go by.

Admittedly, it will take awhile to re-adjust to the corporate grind. Back to the stringent dress code, the regular hours, the office politics, the hairnet. (One hand washes the other around here, but that doesn't shake me.)

Probably won’t have a lot of time for blogging, now that I’m back in the game. But unemployment was a bit of a pickle, so I know you’re happy for me. Future promotions? I'd say it's in the bag. Out of the frying pan and you're fired! (Company joke, I'll explain later.)

I don’t think I could have landed this job without everyone’s honest assessment of my abilities. Give yourself a patty on the back. Before I sign off, just remember, this is America and dreams can come true. Just stay off the special sauce and the world is your quarter pounder.

Uh, do you want fries with that world?

19 comments:

  1. You're on the payroll?
    Employed in AltaDena?

    Join the club of don't have enuf time for blogging.

    I love your old Protestant Work Ethic - you'd make Donald Trump proud! But, if the job ever overwhelms with the double-duties, I can help you with the dining part. In fact, that's what I gotta take care of rite now.

    Congrats!, I think...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm lovin' it!"

    (Seriously!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please don't hit "delete" this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lettuce say, you are one tomoato.

    ReplyDelete
  5. make that "tomato." I'm choosy about my condiments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been dog-trained enuf 2 always take the female species seriously. At least I make an effort to, I think...

    However, it's comfort fooding 2 know, KB, you're still taking me 100% seriously! You're a full-fledged member of my K9 club. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll take a decalf with haff-n-haff. And super-size the snark fries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can we call you Altadena fryer? Actually, that makes you sound like poultry. We'll just call you Trainee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, thank you. I wanted you to put it back up so I could I have it my way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are only so many places these puns can take us, given the menu. I know buns have been sadly overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  11. twoallbeefpattiesspecialsaucecheesepickleonionsonasesemeseadbun - I used to have a little placard of that add - I wonder who I gave it to. That was a classic & so is your post! :) Glad I got a chance to laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  12. seadbun...(got cut off!)
    ad...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm already super-sized so I better not visit you on yo job. Thanks for putting it back up. It's terrific!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like KB & nT have enuf prior experience to open their own joint.

    PS: good 2 c my good southern fried, I mean, friend Virg here visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't improve on Margaret's Altadena Fryer ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's keeping you busy, n'est pas?

    ReplyDelete