Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Christmas Memory



I'm sure Christmas Eve was my dad's favorite day of the year. While on a jog through the country, he would have scoped out some little church that ranked painfully high on the quaintness scale. We'd all suffer through some early evening sermon and children's choir (my brother and I not allowed to catch each other's eye as we'd break into uncontrollable, gasping, nose-running giggles). Then it would be home for a very traditional Norwegian Christmas dinner, ribbe and all that other succulent stuff. Christmas music of the Nutcracker variety. Presents for which we'd have to feign surprise, as we kids had successfully sniffed them out months ago.

So this is my dad as a kid at home in Drammen, Norway, with his Newfoundland pup named Bob. Must have been fairly near Christmastime.

Thank you all for visiting this year, I've enjoyed it all muchly, muchly. Seems you're always catching my eye in church and making me laugh uncontrollably.

12 comments:

  1. You're catching my eye too, Miss K. Merry merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. KB, you better mention Yak someplace in this new post. You it the big 50 with your previous post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karin:

    Love to make you laugh Karin. Especially in church. I'm not going to discuss the musical instruments they might have had in your church, but you know I'm thinking about it....

    Are you 100% Norweigian?

    Happy Holidays to you and everyone else. See you at Ruby's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right, AH. See ya in choich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great great photo, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So did you travel by car or carriage to the church on the top of Svartijem? How about the church at the end of the Betzy Kjeisbergs Vei culdesac? According to google earth, the town of Drammen only has one swimming pool. I feel bad about that. Ho Ho Ho!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My former writing partner (who is Finnish/Irish) is making lutefisk. No doubt you are making a similar Scandiavian traditional repast. A toast to you and yours, KB! You always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You might be able to get me into a church. I think you could make just about anything fun. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, it's a wonderful Christmas post. I love, just love, stories from childhood.
    & thanks for visiting back to you & for making me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, the church stories.. aren't they fab! we are 5kids and when we wouldn't sit still in church, my mom would pinch us and smile at us at the same time, with a warning something like; 'we'll sort this out when we get home...' unfortunately with my little sister, when she got 'the pinch', she would screech real loud... made an even bigger scene... didn't work so well with her!

    ReplyDelete