Thursday, November 6, 2008

You are what you eat

I want to be considered erudite. Sardonically humorous. I want to have a visceral reaction to life. I want to use words like "visceral." Be able to spell "visceral." I want to throw in the odd French phrase, because nothing in English can quite grasp my intention. Well, I wonder what caused that instant volte face.

Italian will do. I'm going to say this, but sotto voce...

I'll start gesturing more, some of those artistic gestures, like fingers splayed, or thumb and forefinger pressed together to emphasize one of my visceral impressions. With impeccably clean fingernails.

Other words I will cultivate in my conversation, in my wunderkabinett of words, as it were: Byzantine, vernacular, synesthesia. That film was at once felicitous and prosaic -- how can that be? The narrative, the emotional palette, lively and poetic, yet oddly dull. More corn of pop?

13 comments:

  1. My favorite Italian phrase:

    "You lying sack of shit."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come si dici? (You can't see this, but my hands are gesturing in a most artistic manner.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My password today is coness. As in co-ness? The state of being together with others? Making wild hand gestures perhaps?

    I find that writing about my password makes it so much easier to type into the box later on. It's like an old friend by then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As titular head of this series of communication, I cannot answer that, uh, canis major of Germany. But as to the prevaricator holding the satchel of merde, I thank you for cleaning my yard.

    Coness, and bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Timothy, Rimbaud in one of his more lucid moments? Or Mme. Piggy perhaps. Having studied the entire Rimbaudian and Piggarian oeuvres, my confusion is understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your erudition astounds.

    Unchro, n'est-ce pas?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have said porcine ouevre in order to include the entire canonical list of pork literature. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your verbiage is dulcet, yet never jejune.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm... flummoxed?

    If you like the European je ne sais quoi check out Eric Ripert's chef blog: http://aveceric.com. There is a link to cooking videos on the right. There is nothing like a good looking man cooking with a sexy French accent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uh oh, I feel a little ivy envy coming on, I'm heading to Claremont,

    ReplyDelete