Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Fooduciary Responsibility

So, I was on the phone with my financial planner, and nothing sets my mind to wandering like the talk of stops and puts and equity/fixed income allocation. Plus, he sounded pretty rattled. I guess when you see all that $$ go down the toilet, it's best to plead ignorance. "As I've always said [note to self: When did he ever say this?] no one can predict how markets will react."

As I tried, really tried, to listen to some strategic bunker plans, I started moving from one blog to another, and before I knew it, I was in some sort of food blog loop. I'm sure the starting point was Susan's Open Mouth Insert Fork, but who knows the twists and turns that ended up at Chinese egg noodles with beef and hot bean sauce. Doesn't that sound wonderful? And there's quite a list of ingredients that would take a day of shopping. Heck, I don't even have the egg noodles. Bean paste? Never heard of it. Sesame oil? Well, I actually have a bottle I never opened. Wonder if it's good after three years? Chile paste -- oh, I love hot spice.

And the picture is lovely. All this at Blue Kitchen. Oh, sorry, where were we... explain just one more time why a 70/30 equity arrangement is such a good idea.

11 comments:

  1. Well, I'm so glad you stumbled upon Blue Kitchen, if for no other reason than it led me to your charming, eclectic blog. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. KarN, my general advice is to invest in those companies which are involved in what you know best: food, gardening, blogging, hiking, film, books, etcetera. And dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry, I am going to try your recipe before the night is over. Or before tomorrow night is over, or the night after that. But soon! And then I'll take a picture and see whether it bears even a remote relationship (2nd, 3rd cousin) to yours. COLA, you're right. And I sort of have. Sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Fooduciary Responsibility" - that's very funny.

    I'm predicting a bull market in comfort foods. And edible Spam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS The Blue Kitchen really blows me away too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got that right Susan. Invest in mac and cheese futures. I wasn't kidding. I'm going to buy all the ingredients for this dish today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fooduciary responsibility is too great. I've been baking like a mad woman since this whole financial crisis started making news. It's my southern upbringing -- make food when there is a crisis.

    I bought my husband one share of Tootsie Roll stock as a joke present on our 6th anniversary last year. 6th is the "candy" anniversary after all. I had them send me an actual stock certificate and I framed it.

    The funny thing is, that is the only company of anything we're invested in that is doing well. Did someone mention comfort food?

    Great post. Darn you for introducing me to blue kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think 70 spinach and 30 ricotta filled ravioli is just about right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did they really sign an agreement? Is it safe to come out of the casserole? Or should I stay in until I see the tootsie roll stock has taken a plunge and the rest are surging? (DELFT? Dutch pottery, Miss H?)

    ReplyDelete