Saturday, August 16, 2008

Wind in the Hill(ohs)




Children's classic lit -- that's where I crawl when this old world is getting me down. I found the official portal to the Wild Woods right here in Altadena. Leads over the river and through the woods, past the cottages, onto the Toad Hall manse. It's funny to compare Altadena to a planned community. I grew up in suburbs built exclusively for the transferred executives. We blew into pastoral towns and usurped the corn fields and grazing land and desertscapes. We were usually in a ring around a golf course. I longed for neighborhoods with some history and mystery. Stories. Not to bag on suburbs -- works for some. Anyway, after the walk today I came home and caught two decidedly ugly creatures arguing over their redecoration project.

10 comments:

  1. By reading the dog non-verbal communication I think these 2 are arguing about:
    "Ok, there used 2 be 4 who lived here. Now, we've gotten it down 2 only us 2. But, 2 is 2 many for this house. So,..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the creatures are beautiful. Can't say the same for their couch cover arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does it come with a pool, three car garage, fireplace, security system, dogs? Will they be having an open house today (Sunday), between the customary hours of 1-4 ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Picky, picky, picky. did you click on the house photo Palm? I expect one of these days the owners will see me lurking outside and say, "Why that poor thing needs a very dry gin martini. Ask her in."

    And Petrea & LO, I'm banning the creatures from further blogs. They get all the attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, no, don't ban them! I'll be good, I'll comment on other things.

    So is that Toad Hall? Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Petrea: Oh, now you’re patronizing me. Phoebe has already said she’s sick and tired of supporting my feeble little blog and she might move her connections elsewhere. I said fine, you show me those opposable thumbs, and we’ll talk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well hell, if your dog's got opposable thumbs, isn't that more interesting than housenography?

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmm... I am a fine one for slipping into children's books... talking spiders or magical gardens or vetty vetty boring tea parties w/ or w/o doormouse, and any story with a wardrobe that leads to another worldy path.

    The dogs upstage. Fair thee well

    ReplyDelete
  9. They do say never to work with children or animals.

    Dear me, Karin, I hope we haven't scared you off. You're too interesting, funny, charming, etc. to lose. If you've slipped into a wardrobe let it be one you can return through at will.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks P. I ain't sceerd; I love you guys. This is just a very challenging week for me here, there, and everywhere; everything will be fine by this weekend. And I would like to spill some tea at the Rose Cottage -- don't have to wear a hat and gloves do I? Maybe we can find out why an aristocrat such as Miss H admits to cavorting about at the top of Fair Oaks. Unseemly, I calls it.

    ReplyDelete