Thursday, August 21, 2008

Lasagna bed: What I learned


1. Set up as far from house as possible
2. Compost the lawn clippings first
3. Stack the layers higher than you think you should (they've compressed by half)
4. Do it because it works

I hear they're going to zap the produce that ends up in our grocery stores. Don't know if that's a bad thing, I'm not a scientist. But given the choice... In addition to the peppers, zukes, and tomatoes, I just lazily scattered some seeds from a couple of years ago, and they're coming up. Don't know what they are, but they're growing.

7 comments:

  1. Everything tastes better when you grow it yourself. I wish I could grow a cheeseburger and fries right now.

    I salute: To your health and good growing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zap? With what?

    I'm trying to grow tomatoes. They're stunted and they have are no red things, but I enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plant the cheeseburger roots deep and go easy on the fertilizer -- that's the secret. And make sure the fries are grown in deep shade. Petrea, those red things may happen in Sept -- maters seem to take a breather in August. (They plan to irradiate (sp?) supermarket vegetables.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh. I haven't bought a vegetable in a supermarket in a long time. (Whew!) I love the farmer's market, because it means I don't have to grow them myself. But I may have to yet, and there are going to be some hungry people in my house. How do you grow kibble?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Situate kibble seeds with companion plants such as milk bones and squeeky toys. Full sun. Keep critters away or risk an early harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm. Wonder what you water with.

    ReplyDelete