Sunday, August 31, 2008

Back to it



So, I started this blog to talk about serious matters, but was led astray by women and men of ill repute. (See My Betters list, though that title will be changing.) Well, these "artistes" are all pretty damned famous now, so we won't see the shine of their coin (usually in very small denominations anyway) in the near future.

Enough. I subscribe to Wall Street Journal. The intention was to make a sincere attempt to get my finances in order. Instead, I tend to read about two things: My oil stocks -- because this in the only publication that does not make me feel guilty -- and the weekend Food & Drink. When I was gainfully employed, F&D made me buy many utensils I've never used, for example, a pressure cooker and several items of cutlery that are so dangerous I'm afraid to even look at them. And mortars and pestles that have not seen the leaf of an herb, and various cuts of meat that are hard frozen in the nether reaches of my freezer.

Recently I almost bought a panini press. Fortunately my horse crushed my hand the day I planned to click on the Amazon link.

But now F&D has fed me a new obsession. I must sous vide at home. Ok, maybe I've sous'd, and maybe I've vide'd, but never together and never in the privacy of my own home. All it takes is a rice cooker, some gadget, some other gadget, complex recipes, and many hours. Just think, for only $300 and maybe six hours or so, I can cook an egg! Cheaper than a teabag and a can of Velveeta! Imagine! MUST HAVE. My index finger is itchy for Amazon. And my gadgets. There's still room on the shelf, next to the pressure cooker.

(Yes, that is a picture of me among my treasures, chanting the viking prayer: Stay away from the lutefisk, where is the garbage disposal.)

16 comments:

  1. I see you're getting back to it. Back to business! Should you be so tough on yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lutefisk, sousing, and the oily paper that's pretty serious stuff.

    You slay me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. * Interview with Jeffrey Steingarten, author of The Man Who Ate Everything (translated quote from a 1999 article in Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet:)

    "Lutefisk is not food, it is a weapon of mass destruction. It is currently the only exception for the man who ate everything. Otherwise, I am fairly liberal, I gladly eat worms and insects, but I draw the line on lutefisk."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is lutefisk rotting shark?

    I want to match up the wee Swede (or was it Norwegian: those dolls all look the same to me) with Mr Bill, Pokey, an action figure. She looks so lonely in Altastan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does Mr. Bill eat Lutefisk? (And I can't get over the picture of Ms H on the internet at 1 a.m. trying to find the perfect lutefisk quote.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom wielded a mean pressure cooker when I was growing up. Meat and potatoes reduced to lovely, full-flavored, chewable-by-geriatrics meals. Call me a wuss, but I'm still afraid of the pressure cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it certainly sounds like y'alll have gotten back to serious blogging.
    K, please don't be led astray by those Americans. I've warned you bfour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. But you, west coast, aren't afraid of much else. Tip of the hat, and I'll save you from the lutefisk. And you LO, tusen takk as always, just save me from the dell help desk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How dare u call me on the internet, a tusen takk! Well, 2 you min venn, Vel Bekomme!!!

    I gotta get back to serious bloggin on my blog, but between my fellow bloggers & these phony politicians, it will be easier to get a cheap meal at a high-class tea joint.

    K, that reminds me: so how is the new pc coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's pretty good, thanks for asking, tho I had a bit of a tantrum yesterday. Spent hours with their chat help desk to fix a little glitch, and they screwed everything up. I'm over it now. Do you know tomorrow may be the hottest day of the whole summer?

    ReplyDelete
  11. K, hottest 2morrow? Ok, well, r u tryin 2 say it's a good day 4 u 2 stay inside?

    "Help" desk? Do I gotta story 2 tell u - later!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just had to jump in and tell you how much your post spoke to me. Yikes, I actually HAVE a panini press. (And I'm allergic to wheat!?!?!?!?)

    I haven't commented before but I wanted you to know how much I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So far it's nice out today.

    Panini press? Why do you press a panini?

    I have pans for boiling things and such. This is the extent of my knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you came Laurie, and OH YES, we have something in common. Guess Petrea doesn't share our obsession with kitchen utensils. And I wasn't kidding, for some unfathomable reason, I'm dying to sous vide. Stop by later; I'm unveiling the tile

    ReplyDelete