Thursday, August 28, 2008

And everything!!!!!

So, I got an email from a friend of mine. Smart woman, but for some reason she feels the need to end every sentence with multiple smiley, winky, or frowny faces. Sometimes it's two of a kind or three of a kind, other times it's a royal flush. So I want to tell her, "Val, you don't need to torment your emails this way. There are perfectly good punctuation marks that have been around for thousands of years just for this purpose." There's the exclamation point, the question mark, and my personal favorites, the dash and semi colon. I use and misuse those two all the time; I do -- really.

But then I wondered, thousands of years? Probably not. Is it "Vini Vidi Vici," or "Vini! Vidi! Vici!" And what about the multiple marks. Is it "Oh what a rogue and peasant slave am I!" or "Oh what a rogue AND peasant slave am I???!!!"

When did we start requiring such kicks in the head? When did words stop flowing into words to form and define the thought? It's like another friend of mine who has great depth of feeling, but difficulty putting it into words. Many of her sentences end with "and everything," as in "So he slammed the door and everything," leaving me to mentally accessorize the story.

But then, maybe I'm too judgemental. I am too judgemental; I know I am, if I'm any judge. And close minded. Have I ever tried the smileys and winkies? No. So let me take one of my favorite soliloquies to see how it might work:

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time ;-| ;-|????
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools ;-)
The way to dusty death :-o
Out!! out!! brief candle!!!!!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more :-( :-(
It is a tale
Told by an idiot ;-) ;-)
full of sound and fury
Signifying nothing :-o :-o :-< :-(

And everything. ;-)

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you typed this just after studying your cam manual.

    Hey, what happened to the pics? If you don't need your camera, I'll use it! Tell me you aren't trying to copy my bland textbook blog style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say it with arrogance and pride, NEVER, ever, have I stuck a face at the end of my pithy rants, favorable critiques or otherwise!!! I'm flumoxed by what some faces are actually trying to say.
    Such as....
    :-0
    :-o
    :-O
    These subtleties of difference and thus, interpretation, are beyond my grasp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Mike is just an old meany :-( and I agree with
    PA :-)!!!!!!! Hey, PA, let's create some symbols even more stupid and see if they catch on. Maybe %:> This one means: You wear glasses and you have a pig nose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. K, leave poor Mike alone. He's been called every name in the books! Really. But, did you have to say "old"?! He's not gonna like that one. You're gonna scare him off.

    There are plenty of other bloggers out there on the WWW more deserving of letting your dogs run loose on.

    He's the best; just an eccentric & anything but normal. He even helped me with my own blog, and he probably helped someone again today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CO, tell that youngster Mike I was just kidding. He's a good bud and keeps me out of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That gets a BoHa from me. Big laugh. I don't do smileys. Much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, for someone quick to scorn the winky faces, I was also pretty quick to slap a sunhat on my boxer. Guess we all have our weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete